I am afraid the majority of this one would-be pirate. Hippo’s are cool but since Johnny Depp’s performances, I think the Pirate life, Pirate Garb, all the plundering, the RUM, well, hard to compete with. But let’s not be blinded by the lure of the open seas just yet! We need to really do some critical thinking.
I realize that might have been very confusing for anyone that has read down this far and has no prior experience with fulfilling online orders, using, ecom online discount shipping services like the two above, or otherwise explored the options that are far better than every paying full retail for shipping at the post office and NEVER at the UPS Store, sheesh!
Ok so what’s the point?
Whether you are an online seller or happen to ship things often from home, you need to join one of the free discount shipping services where you enjoy the bulk shipping rates whether you ship one box or 300.
This is why: even if you ship a few packages a year:
- you can pay as little as $2.83 to ship a first-class box weighing 4oz to most parts of the country or ship 20 pounds in a flat rate box, envelope, padded envelope, and pay as little as $7 +some change depending on the zone and package type.
- If you use USPS (thank you for your recent service USPS workers you are fine Americans!) you can order tons of free flat rate Priority boxes of all types of sizes, delivered to your door, at no cost, and save the expense of purchasing your own boxes
- Finally, you can schedule a pickup of your packaged goods when ready, and the wonderful people of USPS will come to your house and pick it up. Saving you the time, gas, and Hassel of making a run to the PO
If you are still with me, great! Now let’s talk about this “if you had to be a hippo or a pirate, which would you choose?”
Shippo – In my opinion if you are a serious online seller, selling on one or 5 different platforms, Shippo is the best solutions.
Here’s my experience:
- Their prices are just as low as Pirateship.com
- I do not get charged a monthly membership like some sites ( I believe stamps.com charges a membership but they have some features that make it worth it if you ship a lot of light items- a topic for another day).
- I actually get payment terms that I can settle every couple of weeks as opposed to paying immediately. Cash flow bonus!++
- They have great branding options for your invoices and email notifications where you can create consistent invoices no matter what platform the order came from
- The Customizable invoices are easy to print, reprint, or not print at all! Unfortunately, Pirateship does not easily print invoices or packing slips. It can be done, requires a little tech-savvy as this has to be configured somewhat on the backend so it is not user-friendly and once it’s on, you are printing every single invoice/packing slip unless you completely disable the automation. It’s all or nothing. 🙁 which is a big drawback.
- The beauty of Shippo is even all the orders that I ship through Amazon are still captured in Shippo so I can easily search by the first name to find missing orders, reprint packing slips, collect data, and for anyone that has had to sift through hundreds of systematically shipped orders in Amazon to find a match to a lone label, knows what I mean. Yes, you can type in a long tracking number but it sure is nice toggling over to shippo and instantly finding the information that I need.
To summarize, Shippo is much quicker at syncing orders, their interface is much easier to navigate especially with the icons for what platform the orders came from, love the search, save keystrokes with better bulk shipping, and more control over if you want packing slips to print or not. I have to go with Team Shippo!
For some clarification – I don’t want to mislead anyone or suggest that the Amazon shipping tool shouldn’t be used for your MF orders. Their prices are just as competitive and more importantly no matter how much you ship on Amazon, it will not kill your CASH FLOW!! But, when you need to reprint, create a second label, search, eBay, etc – there is a solution.
I encourage anyone who made it through this very exciting topic to share anything I missed or any parts where I didn’t give Pirateship cred that they deserve.
Pirateship.com – Is also loaded with great features. I just find that Shippo gets the job done a lot quicker and more completely for me. A few things I really like about Pirateship.com are:
They have an awesome resource center for learning about the most economical ways to ship your items depending on size, weight, etc. These are phenomenal tools for newbies and vets so I definitely recommend trying both out and see what works best for you!
I am an affiliate partner with these platforms so please follow my links to sign up as the little bit of commission (no cost to consumers) goes a long way in helping maintain this site and continue to research topics for the online community! Thank you in advance!